News | Story

Boy, 16, charged after predominantly Black D.C. schools receive bomb threats

Boy, 16, charged after predominantly Black D.C. schools receive bomb threats

According to officials, a 16-year-old kid has been detained and charged with making terroristic threats after six primarily Black schools in Washington, D.C., were targeted with bomb threats on Wednesday.

In the list of schools targeted, there was one that had previously received a threat the day before during a visit by the second guy, Doug Emhoff.

A statement issued on Thursday by the Metropolitan Police Department confirmed that the 16-year-old had been taken into police custody. The agency said that it was continuing its investigation into the bomb threats in conjunction with federal colleagues.

According to authorities, at least eight institutions, including four public high schools and four charter schools, had received threats as of Wednesday morning. According to authorities, at least some of the schools needed to be evacuated.

According to authorities, all schools were subsequently “cleared with no dangerous substance discovered.” When the threat was issued, one of them did not have any lessons scheduled at the time.

The most current data available on the District of Columbia School Report Card website indicates that at least seven of the eight schools targeted had a majority-Black student body, according to the statistics.

One of these locations was Dunbar High School, where Emhoff Harris, the husband of Vice President Kamala Harris, was evacuated after a bomb threat was received on Tuesday morning. The second guy had come to the school to participate in a Black History Month celebration.

Authorities said the incident at Dunbar, which is considered the first school for Black Americans in the U.S., did not seem to be targeting Emhoff. They also made no mention of race as a contributing element.

Following a wave of bomb threats against historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) during the month of February, the threats began in the lead-up to Black History Month, with at least a dozen threats being made on the first day of the month, according to the FBI.

Although no explosives have been discovered in connection with the threats, the FBI is still looking into the situation.

Early this month, the FBI said that it had identified six “tech-savvy” teenagers as potential people of interest in the investigation. According to a law enforcement source, the youths are suspected of being the perpetrators of the threats, which the official said looked to be motivated by racial sentiment.

After receiving more threats, the District of Columbia Police Department said on Thursday that detectives have cleared H.D. Woodson High School, McKinley Tech High School, IDEA Public Charter School, Cesar Chavez Public Charter School, and Cardozo Education Campus.

The latest wave of threats was blasted by Senator Harris, who said: “Americans have a right to feel secure at work, in places of worship, and at school.” Harris is a Democrat from California.

Her words: “We must take action against any threat of violence in our communities.”

Chancellor Lewis Ferebee of the District of Columbia Public Schools described them as “troublesome incidents that we take extremely seriously.”

He went on to say that the school system will continue to provide assistance to its school communities while the investigation into the threats was underway.

Related News

Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Share The News

Follow Us

Newsletter